The application for Spring 2020 is closed. Summer applications will open in March.
What is Inter-LS 260?
The Internship in the Liberal Arts & Sciences (Inter-LS 260) online course provides UW students who have found internships an opportunity to earn academic credit in connection with their work experience. Students will analyze their professional training experiences in the context of the goals of a liberal arts and science university education, by practicing critical reading, writing, and observation skills.
- This UW online internship course (Inter-LS 260) includes weekly readings, weekly online writing assignments, and a final reflection paper.
- It is worth 1 credit, and students may repeat the course up to three times.
- Grading is on the standard A-F system.
How to Enroll
Instructions to apply for INTER-LS 260
- Secure an internship in the United States. If you will be interning in another county, you will need to enroll in the Worldwide Internship Program course.
- Fill out the Course Registration Form completely; agree to terms and conditions at the bottom.
- Upload an Internship Supervision Form to the Course Registration & Internship Contract above.
- Once you have submitted all required materials, the L&S Career Education Coordinator will review them and email you when you have been authorized to enroll.
- Register for Inter-LS 260 via student center after you have received email authorization.
International Students Only
You must upload an Employment Letter to the Course Registration Form along with the other required materials before your application will be reviewed or approved.
Steps to request a CPT signature:
- Sign-in to Terra Dotta to request an electronic CPT verification.
- Select Xin Cui-Dowling (firstname.lastname@example.org) for your authorized CPT signer if you plan to enroll in INTER-LS 260.
- Submit your request in Terra Dotta and your request will be received electronically.
- Once your CPT is verified and completed by Xin, ISS will receive a notification.
- You will be given permission to enroll in INTER-LS 260 once your CPT is verified by Xin.
- Follow up with ISS on the final approval of your CPT application.
Questions on Terra Dotta should be directed to ISS office.
Have questions about Inter-LS 260 course enrollment? First read the Frequently Asked Questions below, and for assistance email email@example.com
NOTE: Applications will be reviewed and approved on a first come, first served basis. Course approval may take up to ten business days after submission of all required materials. Enrollment priority will be given to L&S students.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an internship?
- A short-term, real-world work experience that integrates knowledge from the classroom with practical application and skill development
- A mutually-beneficial relationship between both you and your employer
- Can be paid, unpaid, for credit, full-time, or part-time
- Can involve a for-profit, non-profit, or governmental organization
- Involves an ongoing relationship with at least one supervisor or professional at the organization
- Introduces you to a particular kind of potential career path
- The following criteria is used to evaluate the validity of an internship for participation in Inter-LS 260: Basic Criteria for Determining Internship Validity
When is this course offered?
Fall, spring, and summer semesters.
Who can enroll?
The course is open to any UW-Madison student, regardless of year in school or major. Enrollment priority will be given to L&S students.
What is the deadline to enroll?
- Fall/Spring: The second Friday of the semester
- Summer: Two weeks before the start of the summer term. The deadline for Summer 2019 is June 3, 2019.
How long do I have to wait to be approved to enroll?
During high volume times of the year, it may take up to 10 business days to process your application. For quickest review of your application, follow the process to enroll found on this page. Completing all steps accurately will result in the quickest approval.
Do I pay tuition for Inter-LS 260?
During the academic year, this course is included in full tuition costs (unless it pushes the student over 18 credits). During the summer term, students pay for the single credit. Tuition costs can be found HERE
ARE THERE REQUIREMENTS FOR HOW MANY WEEKS AND HOURS PER WEEK I HAVE TO WORK?
- Fall & Spring: Minimum of 12 weeks, 8 hours per week. At least 96 total hours.
- Summer: Minimum of 8 weeks, 8 hours per week. Total hours should equal at least 64 hours.
HOW MANY TIMES CAN I ENROLL IN INTER-LS 260?
Currently, a student can complete Inter-LS 260 up to three times during their academic career.
WHAT ARE THE ASSIGNMENTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS COURSE AND HOW IS IT GRADED?
This UW online internship course (Inter-LS 260) includes weekly readings, weekly online writing assignments, and a final reflection paper. It is worth 1 credit, and grading is on the standard A-F system.
WHAT IF I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for help with course information and enrollment.
An Academic Match for Your Internship Experience
Half of all college graduates report completing at least one internship during their time as students. This online course provides a way for UW students who have found exciting outside internships to earn academic credit in connection with their work experience.
What you will gain:
- Connect your workplace experience with the value of a liberal arts and science education
- Practice critical reading, writing, and observation skills
- Receive personalized support and feedback from faculty and staff
- Success strategies for building effective supervisor and employee relationships
A diverse variety of L&S professors teach this class over the course of the fall, spring, and summer terms.
Need help finding an internship…..come in a see us